Powered by Blogger.

Colgate Total (12 Hour Protection) Toothpaste

 Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Actually, I have a few toothpaste reviews lined up, and for quite some time, I was reluctant to post about it because of a video that my husband showed me. It is about the dangers of fluoride, which I'm sure you're aware, is something that is definitely present in most toothpastes. In fact, I think some brands boast about having MORE fluoride in their toothpaste? And how dentists recommend that the fluoride is good for your teeth? Heck, there's even movements to have "water fluoridation" in the US...

That's where all the Youtube videos come in, and you can learn about how fluoride is derived anyways. After watching a few of these, my husband doesn't want to use "normal" toothpaste anymore. Sure, we don't go around eating our toothpaste, and some toothpastes have warnings that if you ingest it, you are supposed to call the poison control center (not sure if it's due to the fluoride or other crap). My husband almost wanted to chuck out all my toothpastes, cos all of them contain sodium fluoride. In case you're wondering if it's possible for toothpaste to NOT contain sodium fluoride, my husband's fave toothpaste from Himalaya is one. ((Note : I don't get any $$ whatsoever promoting them, but if you're a toothpaste swallower, perhaps you would want to eat something that won't make you dumber...))


So, did I chuck my toothpastes in the end? Well, no. Cos :
1. I don't eat my toothpaste
2. Perhaps in the future I would, but I'm still finding out more about this topic. Am no expert for sure
3. I am stingy and I have a stockpile of toothpastes I would like to finish first.

One of them is the free Colgate Total (12 Hour Protection) toothpaste that I got from the Guardian pharmacy magazine in Singapore. Later, I found out that I have another small tube that I had purposely purchased for travelling purposes. So this isn't a new product, I suppose! This toothpaste boasts superior protection (for up to 12 hours), all the while smoothening and polishing your teeth. Other benefits include : fighting cavities, gum problems, plaque, tartar and sensitivity. It also freshens breath, whitens teeth and strengthens enamel.


Generally, I'm quite cautious about using "whitening" toothpaste because I heard it kinda bleaches / chips away the tooth's natural protection and that's how you get even more sensitive teeth. No matter for me anyway, I rarely notice that my teeth are whiter. The only way my teeth looks whiter is if I myself get tanner, hehehe. Personally, I also didn't feel that this toothpaste helped with my teeth sensitivity nor with particular 12 hour long fresh breath. Maybe I'm just a dirty fella...

Based on the 3 questions asked in the paper above - if you have tooth sensitivity, stickiness in the teeth at the end of the day or gum problems, Colgate says the problem is caused by bacteria build-up. Hence, the reason why you need 12-hr long protection --- so that the bacteria build-up cannot occur.


One thing I noticed right-away with the toothpaste. It is very sticky and thick! This is because it's not a toothPASTE but a toothGEL. It apparently makes a difference. If you're the sort, like me, who just rinses her mouth and then gets down to brushing her teeth, it will be a pain. Because the gel is not "lubricated" enough, it will be very hard to foam up. You can definitely feel the stickiness and chunks of toothpaste stuck here and there. And bless you if you drop the toothpaste on the sink. Simple flushing with water will not get it unstuck. You would have to scrape at the sink to flush away the sticky substance. So annoying!

After putting the toothpaste on my toothbrush, I have to vigorously wet it so that it won't be so STICKY going in to my mouth. After brushing for a bit, I have to wet the toothpaste AGAIN. Usually, this repeats 3x before it feels "normal" to me. Honestly, I've not had this problem with my previous toothpastes.

The spearmint flavor from the toothpaste is refreshing, but then again, which toothpaste doesn't leave you feeling refreshed? Overall, I'm not impressed by the tooth brushing experience, nor with the after effects of using this toothpaste. Not a repurchase for me... and since I'm only using it on my vacays, even if the toothpaste gets stuck to the sink, it becomes the hotel cleaner's problem, and not mine. Hahaha! Merry Xmas! Hahahhahahaa..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP