Powered by Blogger.

Tips to Buying from Wholesale Sites

 Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I know I've used to buy a lot of stuff from wholesale sites, but I've since stopped. It's really tempting because the outfits are really cute, and they are REALLY cheap! Like, if I spend RM500 at VS or ASOS, that's like 5-6 pieces of clothes. For that amount, I can get more than 15 pieces of clothes! In fact, it's literally a SACK that arrives in my house when I buy from a wholesale site. Of course, with anything, there's cons, and there were enough cons that made me stop buying. Here are my personal tips on buying from wholesale sites. Some may seem like simple LOGIC, and I apologise. But better safe than sorry!

1. Check the measurements!
Wholesale sites, especially those which promote Korean-style fashion, really do cater to VERY PETITE girls. For myself, I'm only 160cm, but almost 60% of the dresses that I buy there are too short for me! After that, my personal mantra is to buy something that is at LEAST 85cm in length, or only go for the long dresses. That really cuts out a LOT of the cute dresses though. -__-"

2. Don't bother to look at the model for estimations
It's not as simple as "you won't look as good as her", the fact is that on wholesale sites, the material used for the clothes on the model is not the same as the one they will be sending to you. Hence, refer back to item (1). =) After all, the model is 165cm, and the dress looks normal on the model who is taller than me, but it doesn't look as obscene on her. -__-" At least on VS, what is being modelled is actually probably from the same batch manufactured to be sent to you. Yeah, they might pin bits and pieces of it to look nicer for photographs, but I'm talking like, something that looks like silk in pictures, but is chiffon when it comes to you. -__-" So just know that whatever is draping so nicely on the model won't do the same for you.

3. The material is super thin 
I hope you're the type who likes to wear multiple layers, because the stuff is super thin. If possible, don't buy things that are white in color because it's guaranteed to be see-through. If you land yourself in such a situation, I hope you have a few singlets and petticoats handy. =)

As above, don't bother looking at the model for hints on how the clothes will look like... they probably use better material for whatever they are advertising

4. No to button-downs
If you are bigger than an A-cup, even if you are able to button up, there will be these huge gaps caused by the material just stretching out. Obscene obscene!

5. Keep it simple 
After explaining to you items 1-4, you will understand that your best bets are always the simple stuff. The less sparkle, the less dingle-dangle, the less fanciful pleats and stuff will ensure that your items are more like what is advertised than a complete surprise. I've had stuff that looked so high-class on the site turns out to look really tacky when it arrived, with cheap "jewels" hot glue-gunned. A flapper-inspired top that totally did not have the "flapper" feel to it, with very cheap materials for the fringe. Even a crochet collar top ended up pissing me off because it was crocheted in such a way that the collar WOULD NOT STAY DOWN.

6. Shipping
There is no such thing as free shipping, and usually, you have to pay by weight. Which can be a pain, especially since you will have to buy at least USD$100 in a wholesale site. And USD$100 of clothing is a LOT of clothes and VERY HEAVY when it comes to a wholesale site! Usually I choose a long shipping time (by BOAT) so that it's cheaper, and then dealing with the kinda delivery services these sites use.... *fainted*. It's no Fedex and you can say that again.

At the end of the day, I guess you could find a site that actually sieves through the good and bad for you, and pay double to triple of what you could get from a wholesale site (I've seen SOOOO many bloggers promoting something that is 100% the same as what I got from a wholesale site --- of course, it was one of the "good buys" following my 1-6 mantra). Or, you can try and scour for good deals, but of course... will you be able to buy USD$100 worth of stuff once you've whittled it down by so much? For me, I couldn't... so that's why I stopped buying... for once in my life actually wish that I could be shorter so I would have more options!

Ending my depressing entry with some nice SIMPLE stuff I saw from my fave wholesale site today. All the shirts are around USD5- USD6, and the dresses are cheaper than USD8. Where else can get these kind of prices, you tell me?!






 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP