Powered by Blogger.

Anthropologie - The Study of Humanity & Fashion

 Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I like Anthropologie for the thoughtful detailings in their clothes, jewelry and shoes. The vibe I get from their collections are generally very "Stepford Wife", but in a good way. The only drawback? Insanely expensive prices that deter me, unless I earn a 5 figure salary. And the first digit should not be a "1". =p Still, it doesn't hurt to admire something from afar.

I showed some of the below items to my colleague to get the "male perspective" on the item as well as ask him how much he reckoned they would cost. I showed him my favorite pick for the shoes --- the corn lane slingbacks. "Top shelf detailing in a unique bright yellow, guaranteed to make your legs look longer and gorgeous."
Him : "Uh... okay...."
Me : "It costs..."
Him : "RM100+?"
Me : "300..."
Him : "What? I shit bricks already!"
Me : "USD"
Him : "There goes another brick."

Still, I like the prettiness of it all, and this will only inspire one to work harder to earn more moolah! Tingling with anticipation! =p Here are some of my picks from their summer range 2011:

Jewelry Pickings
I like big statement pieces, therefore I'm liking these weird but most definitely unique earrings. The stones are not rare gems, btw.

(J1) Light Year Posts Earrings - $28.00

Totally a statement piece, and I think I could get lost staring into the green stones. Feels like a whole other universe inside there...

(J2) Solar Halo Earrings - $198.00

The wiring is made of 24k gold, so that's why it's so much more pricier than the first pair. I still prefer the "Light Year Posts Earrings" to this, but there were some photos of it when it catches the sun, and it's so brilliant and sparkly. In this picture, the stones look a little bit dull... Anyway, I like the very "home-made luxury" kind of feel in these earrings. If I told someone *I* made them, I think it's believable. =p

This year, Anthropologie's tagline for their jewelry is, "More is More", encouraging the customers to layer their necklaces. I'm not quite a fan of too much clashing colors / shapes, but you might fancy these :

(J3) First Spark Necklace - $38.00

(J4) Celestial Orbit Necklace - $32
This one is quite nice! I imagine it looking very drama when set against a classic LBD

For the clothes, wow, their dresses and skirts never fail to impress me.

Dresses Galore
(D1) Backswept Chrysanthemun Dress - $268.00
This one is so Stepford Wives... and Chinese-y at the same time. The clashing green and orange gives it a more vibrant and youthful look. Perfect for garden weddings! :P

(D2) Essential Summer Shift - $128
I disagree with this being an essential "summer" shift because I think it's perfect for all kinds of occasions, not just summer! I love lace detailing, and the thin layers of gauzy material make me think that it'll be perfect for wearing during the daytime, and when you throw on a shawl, perfect for dinners out too.

(D3) Verdant Slip Dress - $138.00
An interesting creamy green color, delicate floral pattern (it reminds me of a watercolor painting even though it doesn't look like it) makes this more than just a floral dress.

(D4) Oblique Blooms Dress - $258
An ethereal looking, delicate dress. The lace and gauze obscures the view of the floral print underneath, making it look as if you are gazing down on a flower garden, and there's mist covering the view. So fairytale-like.

(D5) Grand Coast Cover-Up - $648.00
This dress is insanely priced, especially for a beach cover-up! I suppose it will photograph beautifully (just look at the way it drapes on the mannequin!), but I seriously cannot imagine oh-just-throwing-this-on over my swimsuit. O_O Sacrilege. As a dress, it would be better --- except that this doesn't have lining (according to reviewers). Still, this dress is insanely beautiful though...

Many Skirts To Choose From
(S1) Rotational Symmetry Skirt - $148
I think this looks a bit batik-ish, don't you agree? I just love colors, and this is kaleidoscopic!

(S2) Bosky Lace Skirt - $118
Some might think it matronly, but depending on what you wear, it could be elegantly sexy! I'm thinking high heels, a tight white halterneck or tube top... and it gives off this chic, sleek look. The popping green color makes it more youthful, because me thinks the lace pattern is a tad "old".

(S3) Duo-Patterned Skirt - $78.00
Oh this skirt is so fun! Vertical stripes elongate pins and clashing patterns add a touch of whimsy. Like!

I always feel like the skirts are pieces of artwork and could be hung on the wall... check out :

(S4) Sagebrush Skirt - $128

(S5) Nyanza Skirt - $88

(S6) Sun-Stitched Skirt - $128


(S8) Goldfish Bowl Skirt - $98

Top Selections
Here are some unique tops for you who like wearing signature pieces that will have people admiring you jealously :
(T1) After Plaited Tank - $48
The front is a pretty heather tank, but check out the weave back!

(T2) Geo Feather Blouse - $98
I like the cutting for this blouse, and the funky print too! I like those sexy-in-a-peekaboo way type of clothes. =)

(T3) Battened Down Tee - $48
Another peekaboo tee... looks so simple yet casual chic... perhaps I could make this myself? :D

Choice Shoes
And by unique shoes, this is what I meant :

(SH1) Sugar Snap Skimmers - $ 128
Oh, nothing much. Just a pair of cute flats with cute ruching in front. =)

(SH2) What-A-Cut-Up Brogues - $238Raymond laughed his arse off when he saw this pair of shoes. He said, "What are the holes for? Ventilation ah?" and he laughed even harder when he saw someone posted that these shoes were for those between the ages of 50-55. -___- I thought it was unique, so I'm sharing it here with you! Oh well, brogues *are* kinda "old" anyway... :P
Oh and when I told him the price, he said he would cut holes into Bata shoes and sell them for triple the price if that's the trend nowadays.

(SH3) Pirouette Flats - $128What a difference a twist of leather in a different color makes to this pair of flats! Super likeeee

(SH4) Idonia Oxfords - $198
Oxfords with a twist! Lace, ribbon and heels to take the masculine edge off these pair of shoes that we stole from the boys. ;)

(SH5) Summer Kaleidoscope Flats - $98.00
Another fun pair of shoes! So cute and colorful... but for the price I would prefer it to be full leather, not cloth

(SH6) Corn Lane Slingbacks - $388.00
Oh my! My favorite of the lot, as you can tell from the start of this post...


Swimsuit Spread
Just noticed that Anthropologie does swim wear as well... and they have a few very unique pieces. I think some of it looks better than VS Swim as well, and I'm totally a diehard, hardcore fan of VS...

(SW1) Drawn To The Heart Maillot - $138
How sweet is the color for this one? And with the cute jewel detailing in front, it adds on to the feminity factor. Absolutely goddess-like in this one!


(SW2) Pops of Print Maillot - $199.95
I did say that I love lots of color, right? The craziness of this maillot will ensure that you catch everyone's attention on the beach! Plus, these maillots can be worn with JEANS, and it looks pretty good as a top too:

(SW3) Natalie One-Piece - $148
This is such a pin-up girl style maillot! Super flattering for the figure and absolutely glam with sunglasses and bright red lips. Glamor for a steal at $148! This item has 255 positive reviews on the Anthropologie website... everyone loves it!


(SW4) Plunging Halter Maillot - $79.95
This piece looks a bit complicated... like how does one even wear this? But then you see how it looks like on the model and you're sold...

Cute details (bow at the back) and flattering cut (notice how it nips at the waist, and the ribbon serves to tuck in the stomach) --- of course, not forgetting the ultra sexy and daring plunging neckline, makes for one gorgeous swimsuit. Love!

(SW5) Sun Goddess Maillot - $99.95
Another princessy maillot (yes, they have a lot of maillots, and yes, I am now sold on 1 pieces... good bye bikinis!) that I can imagine someone like erm... Paris Hilton wearing. The peachy shade is set off with a dramatic beaded belt (also has little pieces of shells on the belt! So cute!) ... My main complaint would be that it seems a bit too high cut for me... I prefer something more modest. =p

(SW6) Ruffle-Wrapped Halter Suit - $158
A modest maillot with an interesting neckline. Looks super flattering and the ruffles add a bit of tease to this otherwise serious looking suit.

(S7) High Sun Bikini - $186 ($88 for bikini top and $98 for the bikini bottom)
On first look, the shorts look a bit like diapers! It's so high up! I guess this is also a play on the pin-up girl look, super short shorts with high waists... and I love the summer candy colors. Then, I saw the cute detailing for the shorts and ... *sigh* So cute la!


(S8) Modern Triangle Bikini - $136 ($68 for bikini top and $68 for the bikini bottom)
Ruching details flatter smaller chests, and I like swimsuit bottoms with the EXACT style like the one above. Also, this earthy tone is classic and elegant. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP